Tropical Breakfast Risotto

Recipe from a Sun-Maid Raisins ad.  I'm trying to convert it to use regular milk instead of condensed, so the amounts of milk/water and the time might not be quite right.  Just keep cooking it and adding milk until it looks good.  Oh, also the original recipe had instant rice and I'm using regular, so that adds to the confusion about amounts.

Anyways, this is an awesome alternative to rice pudding.  It's healthy and not too sweet, because the sweetness comes from the pineapple and coconut.  Tastes good hot or cold.

1 1/2 cups water
1 cup brown rice
1 can pineapple tidbits (8 oz), drained, liquid reserved
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup raisins (I like golden)
1/2 shredded sweetened coconut
1/2 cup sliced toasted almonds (I omit, of course, but I'm sure this would be good)
1 medium banana, diced

1.  Combine rice, water, and pinapple liquid in a 2-quart saucepan.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer.  Simmer until most liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
2.  Add milk, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until rice is cooked and texture is rice pudding-y.  May need to add more milk.
3.  Turn off heat and add everything else.

6 comments:

Ashley said...

Mmm, I should try this. I think Jordan would love it!

Ashley said...

Why do you omit the almonds? Do you not like nuts?

Ashley said...

Also (I keep commenting), I bet it will be good baby food around 8 months or so! (excluding the nuts, and maybe chopping up the raisins)

Christine said...

Ooh, cool - are you going to try to make some of your own baby food?

I don't like nuts except for peanuts, and I'm allergic to cashews and pistachios. I know I'm not allergic to almonds and walnuts, but I still don't like them, and I'm afraid I might become allergic to them at some point. I don't mind things that have a mild almond flavor, but I don't eat any nuts raw (I don't even really like whole peanuts - just PB).

Ashley said...

Sad about nuts. I'm not a huge fan of them in baked goods, but I really like cashews, walnuts, and pistachios plain.

Yeah, I want to try to make a lot of baby food. You can get cheap little baby food grinders, so like if you're eating a banana or some squash, you can just mash some up for the baby too, and probably freeze it. I found a little baby food recipe book that I want to get!

Christine said...

I'm not sad about my nut allergy, cause I really hate the taste of nuts (except for mild almond or hazelnut flavor) - but I do kind of wish I liked them. They are really healthy and a good snack. Plus, it's hard to find granolas without nuts =P

Making baby food should be cool. I'm sure that a lot of baby food from the store has sugar and crappy ingredients like other processed foods.